Who hasn’t woken up with a sore neck? Misalignment of the neck causes muscle contractions and cervical tension which are developed due to poor head support while sleeping.
In order to sleep through the night and stabilize the spinal column, the proper pillow is necessary.
Types of Pillow –
According to experts, the main function of the pillow is to contribute enough neck support, so the body can stay in proper alignment.
The pillow should support the weight of the head and adapt to it without deforming and adjusting to the neck area.
There is a variety of pillows on the market. By manufacture material, we find:
- Polyester Pillows, the most common
- Feather Pillows
- Latex Pillows
- Memory Foam Pillows
In cases of sensitive neck, it’s often recommended the use of viscoelastic pillows or memory pillows since they have the properties to adapt to the head and neck, offering a more ergonomic support.
It is not enough just to have a good pillow, it must be used correctly.
There are some people that have bought the most expensive and ergonomic pillow in the market and still suffer from headaches & neck pain when they wake up, it all narrows down to the way the pillow is being used not the pillow itself.
To avoid misuse of the pillow, keep in mind the following tips:
- Use your pillow so that the head rests in its entirety.
- Remember the pillow is for the head, the shoulders should rest on the mattress.
- The thickness of the pillow is important. Choose one with a thickness that will accommodate a straight neck during rest.
- The most suitable in any case is that, looking at the person horizontally, the head and neck should have a position that adopts to the same way we are standing up.
Unfortunately, there is no miraculous pillow that works for everyone. The pillow that works best for you will depend on how you want to direct your sleep and your personal taste.Tags: Pillows